Italian food is available on foreign turfs. So, when tourists arrive in Italy, they already have an idea about the taste of Italian dishes but what they discover here is totally different. The authentic Italian cuisine is special but its representation internationally is distorted.
Every state in Italy offers distinctive taste and flavor. If you are in Florence then there are different traditional dishes, which are not found anywhere else. You can join the Food Tours Florence to enjoy the unique dishes of this region.
Some things to remember or consider
- First thing you will discover is restaurants in Florence serve salt-less bread. The locals will explain that the food is so tasty that their bread does not need to be salty.
- Other thing to remember is that each region is very pleased with their extra virgin olive oil manufacture but every restaurant does not serve this local stuff. Therefore, before pouring, check the label to avoid unpleasant surprise.
- Locals in Florence prefer extremely thin crust of pizza but if you wish something thick then visit restaurants offering ‘Pizza Napolitano’.
Authentic or original flavors of Florence
- Crostini Neri – It is pate [chicken] served on toasted bread slices.
- Crespelle alla Fiorentina – Kind of pasta dish, which is served as first course. Crespelle are stuffed with spinach and ricotta cheese then spattered with velvety béchamel sauce.
- Bistecca alla Fiorentina – Two inches thick meat is grilled and then salted.
- Trippa & Lampredotto – Street food found in every corner of Florence.
- Peposo alla fiorentina – Meat is covered with garlic, red wine and lots of peppery then cooked slowly on low flames.
- Baccalà alla fiorentina – A spicy and salty blend of cod fish, onions, rosemary and tomatoes served with bread.
- Seppie in zimino – Octopus is simmered with ingredients like onions, spinach, herbs and little tomato sauce.
- Fagiuoli (Fagioli) all’uccelletto – Beans flavored with sage, tomato sauce or peppercorn and garlic.
- Piselli “alla fiorentina” – Green peas boiled and mixed with fresh parsley, garlic, uncooked cured bacon and a splash of olive oil.
- Artichokes & Spinach – Two great vegetables are served in different forms and beldn with every kind of main course.
- Zuccotto – Thin ice cake filled with candied fruit, almond and sweet ricotta cheese placed in refrigerator to harden like gelato.
- Schiacciata Fiorentina – Simple rectangular cake covered with powder-sugar including a design of lily or city emblem. Cut in half and a layer of vanilla pudding or whipped cream gets added.
- Zuppa Inglese – Uneaten cookies layered with liquid custard cream and gelato flavor tastes awesome.