After legalization of Cannabinoids and hemp, the medicinal industry produced varieties of capsules, tinctures, oils, patches and other edibles from CBDs or cannabidiols.
Apart from their use in vaping, CBD vape oils are extremely famous for curing diseases like epilepsy and convulsions. Know how they do it!
What is epilepsy?
- Scientifically, epilepsy is a neurological disorder. It affects the CNS (central nervous system) and causes abnormal working of the brain, seizures, sensations or loss of awareness. People suffering from epilepsy likewise account for sleep issues, migraines, anxiety and depression.
- 40 percent of the forms are drug-resistant. Here, either the patient doesn’t respond to the AEDs (anti-epileptic drug) or shows severe side effects.
The vape oil
- The scientists and medicinal firms extract CBD oil from marijuana and hemp. They have a rich concentration of cannabidiol in them.
- The oil extracted from marijuana has a high level of THC, whereas the one derived from hemp has 0.3 or less percent of THC.
CBD vape oil and seizures
- Albeit we know CBDs for their effect on a plethora of diseases and disorders like cancer, digestive disorder, neurodegenerative disorders, dermatological problems, anxiety, but their effect in the treatment of epilepsy in commendable.
- Animal research on mice in 1970 was the first to prove the efficiency of CBD in treating convulsions. It showed the anticonvulsant properties of both THC and CBD.
What’s the mechanism?
Formerly, scientists believed that the endocannabinoid system (a deeply interconnected network of cannabinoid receptors and neurotransmitters) regulates seizures.
Functions of the endocannabinoid system –
- Maintains equilibrium of the individual
- Controls the level of the body chemical
- Monitors biological functioning (appetite to motor control, response to stimuli or external and internal environment, sleep, and irritation)
- Every system operates by sending and receiving signals or chemical messengers. These signals are the chemical they secrete. The chemical of the endocannabinoid system is endocannabinoids. The chemical messengers bind to the cannabinoid receptor of the body and the brain.
- Through this method, they regulate body functioning and get digested by enzymes once they finish their work. Breaking down or digestion ensures that there is no overaccumulation.
- Since CBD has a similar or approximately identical structure like endocannabinoid, they can also bind to the cannabinoid receptors.
How does it work?
The following are the various assumptions made by scientists on the working of CBD over the symptoms of epilepsy.
- They are neuroprotectant. Hence, lowers the neurotoxicity of the body cutting the risk of seizures.
- Its further controls neuroexcitation
- Reduces the chances of inflammation of the brain reducing seizures.
- Though both CBD and THC work well on seizures and other symptoms of epilepsy, CBD is the more recommended one due to the psychoactive nature of THC.
- CBD can also treat childhood epilepsy- Lennox- Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome.
However, sometimes you might develop a resistance to the drug, and to overcome it, increase the dose.